Quotes on Cooking

"Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all." ~ Harriet van Horne

"When baking, follow instructions. When cooking, go by your own taste." ~ Laiko Bahrs

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." ~ Virginia Woolf

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Tong-tong-tong Chiang: Part 4

Reunion dinner was great, with drinks, food (that everyone allegedly enjoyed) and gambling, of course!! Muahahah. But I have yet to find my Mahjong kakis. :( Anyways, I digress.

Dinner dishes were relatively simple and limited, as the tasks of making kuih, my own yee sang, hand-rolled dumplings and all proved too much for one to handle. Yes, I also had Mommy to help out. :D

Hmmm... so here are some pics that I managed to wrangle in, despite the hectic schedules. Some were contribs from JessicaHippo, who kindly stepped in as photog, when I had my headless-chicken moments. 

First dish, was of course, the ubiquitous and compulsory Yee Sang.

Ingredients:
White radish
Carrots
Deepfried taro (green & yellow)
Black sesame crackers
Peanuts, ground 
Sesame seeds
Papaya pickle
Ginger pickle
Cucumber pickle
Green radish pickle
Pickled shallots
Red chilli
Green, red & yellow bell peppers
Pomelo sacs
Spring Onion
Coriander
Lime pickle
Salmon, raw
Squeeze of lemon
(This is all I remember, right now...)

Dressing:
Plum sauce
Sesame oil
5 spice powder
Salt
Pepper
Brown sugar
Lemon juice


After which, the Pie Tees followed: Deep fried crispy shells, filled with a "stew" of shredded jicama, carrots, mushrooms and a chilli sauce, similar to that of the chicken rice accompaniment.

The main dishes were, Salted egg yolk prawns (neighbour's curry leaves had a mysterious disease, so that was omitted), 

fried sea bass with fried Chai Por (salty preserved radish), where I later added julienned spring onions and chilli with a sweet-sour sauce, 

Tumeric fried chicken, 

Broccoli with Enoki, Shiitake, Black Sea Moss (Fatt Choy) with Oyster sauce.


Dessert was Almond Tea & Black Sesame Dumplings and Red Dates, Gingko & Lotus Seeds in a citrusy-honey infused light 'soup'.

AuntyNess brought this wine, which she said, was the one that made her drunk. Teehee.


I am now aiming for the next batch of food, for the Chap Goh Meh. Not really sure what to cook then, because, the only thing we eat then is the Kiam Chai Boey, but I shall include more things to perk things up a little. After which, the "Real" Kiam Chai Boey shall emerge. All for ME ME ME. Heheh. Do drop by, if you are interested. :D

2 comments:

  1. My tummy super rumbled!!
    Nomnomnom...

    You pulled off a great CNY feat.. the food looked marvelous! I only wished that your mom would be there when Andrew and I pop over - it'll be really nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey babe, think you might like this tumblr blog here.. http://peegaw.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete